Tuesday, 8 November 2016

Placemats

I have at long last taken my embroidery unit off 'My Brother', I do actually still have some more to do on it but I have that much sewing to do I thought I'd better get it started.  Just thought I'd show you the Swirly Placemats I've made using a lovely design from Kreative Kiwi Embroidery.
I started by doing the white and beige colours for a wooden centrepiece Hanni had brought me back from New Zealand, I needed something to make it stand out as it disappeared somewhat being wood on my wooden table.  I found this design and used the fabrics I've used in some blocks for two new cushion covers, these are currently waiting to be sewn together.  My sister came to visit and liked the placemat, saying she'd got a bowl on her table that she couldn't see properly and she needed to make it stand out, so would I do one for her in greens.  I don't have much in green fabric so ended up using a little stack of fat quarters I have.  She loved it thank goodness lol.  Hanni my daughter has just bought a house so she wanted one for the middle of her dining room table, she wanted oranges and yellows to match her kitchen, but wanted a splash of red as well as a bit of white, she was happy with hers as well.  So I have definitely had my monies worth out of this design and it's still half price at $5.  The instructions are very easy to follow, the mat is stitched out over five hooping stages and comes in two sizes.  5x7 hoop giving a 25cm x 25cm (10"x10") finished size or the 6x10 and 8x8 hoop giving a 31cm x31cm (12" x 12") finished sized.  
The centrepiece in this picture is made up of three koru spirals that can be separated and used as trivets or placemats.  The wood is rimu, which is a native softwood tree in New Zealand.  The centrepiece also has a Paua shell inlay in the shape of the two islands that make up New Zealand.  My machine embroidered mat does help make it stand out on my table.

No comments:

Post a Comment