Saturday, 4 June 2016

Customer Request

I had been asked if I could do something a little bit different, a customer of mine had seen a personalized hand embroidered card.  When she explained it to me she said it was two pieces of felt sewn together with the required message on one side and sewn around the edge with a back stitch.  The envelope was again hand sewn with a name and a faux stamp on it.  She brought me a pair of her sons old jeans and one of those name tab you sew in the school uniform when they go to primary school and asked if I could make something up.  We went through a bit of a message, giving me some idea what she would like.  I then got my head running all over the place and this is what I came up with.
I photographed the pocket first, measured everything then used my PE Design 10 software to position the text, using the pocket photo for the background.  I used a bit of scrap to sew it out before committing to the pocket, let's face it there were two pockets to go at, just in case the first one didn't work.  I used a cut away stabilizer and floated the pocket on the top as you can see in the picture I pinned it to within an inch of its life lol.
I let the machine do a trace first before letting it carry on.  I couldn't count the number of times I held my breath lol.  Anyway, not too shabby, though I say so myself.  I trimmed the stabilizer so it would just sit inside the orange pocket stitching then added some gingham fabric for the backing, I just machine sewed the edge of the pocket to attach it.  I measured the widest part of the pocket, added ¾", doubled the measurement then added the top flap plus a bit (I could always trim access off if necessary).  I cut the back off one of the legs on the jeans and cut out the required piece, I did the same with the gingham so I could line the envelope.  I folded length wise and marked the centre point, then after re-folding the pocket in the fabric found the side measurement I needed, then drew the sides of the flap onto the fabric, at this point I also found the position on what would be the front of the envelope for the name tab, attaching it by hand.  I didn't bother pinning the jean fabric and the backing fabric together I just sewed on the line I'd marked out, along the bottom and down the side leaving a 3" gap in one side so I could turn through.  I trimmed the points off before turning and ironing it flat. I sewed a line of stitching along the short straight edge then folded it into the envelope shape, starting at one folded end I edge stitched up the side, up and down the flap, then down the other side, back tacking at the openings to strengthen it.  To finish I added the snaps.
She was really pleased with the outcome, thank goodness, she does usually give me free rein to just do stuff lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment