Tuesday, 5 January 2016

My Brother

My Christmas present from my hubby was a Brother sewing machine and it also embroiders and I love it.  I actually call it 'My Brother' and always think of the Terry Scott song while saying it lol.  So any time soon I'm taking delivery of a new cabinet, I went for the Horn Outback so I will be able to use my Brother as a flatbed.  I finished the top of my off-set log cabin quilt but have been waiting for the cabinet to finish it, I will now be able to get my dinning room table back.  I'll post a picture once its finished.  In the meantime I've started another project, I want to learn how to free motion quilt, so I've found a really helpful book by Leah Day and it's called Building Blocks Quilt.  It takes you right from the very beginning to the very end.  I've started my blocks in black and orange, only cheap fabric as I'm only learning but I'm already liking it.  There is a group on Facebook as well and all the people on there are really very helpful, full of encouragement, loads of tips, you can ask anything. 

Here's the details for the pattern book and Facebook:
Website - I downloaded the eBook
Facebook - You will notice links at the top of this page for the videos that go with this quilt and the links for the paper book and the eBook.

There are four blocks in the quilt that have a 4.5" square in the middle and in the book it says to cut T-Shirt fronts to use in the middle of these blocks but because I have my Brother I thought I'd embroider something.  This is what I came up with:
I also have the PE-Design 10 software for my PC so did the layout on there and just used a USB stick to transfer to my Brother lol, you can link the computer to the sewing machine but my computer is in my craftroom and the sewing machine is downstairs.  I could have done the design on the sewing machine but I get extra fonts from my computer.  This font is Dalliance Roman and is a free font of the internet.  I will be posting the blocks as and when I've done the free motion quilting but I do want to finish off other bits so this quilt will be an ongoing thing.  This is a picture of My Brother and he's the best thing since sliced bread lol:
This is the finished quilt by Leah Day and like I've mentioned mine will be black and orange.  Can you see the four squares, well that's where my embroidery square will be.  Right I'm off to make some more mess lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment