Thursday, 5 May 2011

Project Club - May 2011

Originally this post was from the Dimension Fourth Project Club, then the name change to Dimensions Stamps.  Now the name is Nina Crafts and the old names have been dropped.  I thought putting all the posts together would be better and easier to find things.

This month’s Project Club set comprises of a heart, two flourishes that mirror each other, two pieces of text ‘With Love’ and ‘A person’s world is only as big as their heart’.

This is the finished card, but I did have quite a few ideas kicking around my head and actually think this set is quite useful in lots of ways.  The browns, pale peaches, creams and gold colours are one of my favourite colour combinations.  I hope you can get some inspiration from the cards I have made this month.

Cut out your card as sizes given in your project club kit.

Dust the peach card front with an anti-static bag, and then stamp and emboss with one of the flourishes across the corners using VersaMark and gold embossing powder.  Next stamp the heart off centre and again use VersaMark and gold embossing powder.

With the front of your embossed peach card facing you, rip a small border around the edges.  We want to see the rough core of the card here, don’t worry about the embossed corners you will still get the same effect.  Try not to take any more than 1cm of each edge, the less the better.

Use double sided tape to stick your embossed card onto the brown card.  Then using a Quickie Glue pen apply glue to the rough core edges of the peach card, following the ripped edges, I did 2-3 cm at a time before adding the glitter but it was a bit warm in my craft room. 

Using your anti-static bag dust the small brown piece of card from your kit and stamp and emboss the heart using the VersaMark and gold embossing powder.  Once embossed cut out this heart.

Using the pieces of card cut previously for the sentiment, stamp and emboss the text onto the peach card.  Rip along the edges, attach the the brown card with double sided tape, glue and glitter as per instructions for the card front.

Using a ruler and score tool, bone folder or even a score board, score a diagonal line from the outside edge of the peach base card to the centre fold line.  Its up to you which way you score but as you can see in the picture I did the centre fold to top outside edge.  On the inside of the base card stamp and emboss the heart randomly covering all the square, don' forget to use your anti-static bag first.

Close the card up so the scored front is facing you, then add double sided tape to the opening edge triangle and then attach the card front.  Using foam pads or foam tape apply it to the back of the sentiment and the back of the cut out heart.  Attach the heart to the front of the card.  Slightly open the card so the base is flat and attach the sentiment so the card front will rest against it and stay open.

Other card ideas using this month's project club stamps.

Because the swirls face each other I thought it would made a really effective border, this card didn’t start out like this, it just sort of happened.  On a scrap piece of paper I stamped one of the swirls along the edge of the paper and cut it out leaving a small border next to the stamped image.  I used this cut out as a template so I could get both sides as near as possible the same.  So, I decided on a DL card, and using Papermania Capsule Collection – Blueberry Pie paper, I cut to size so it fit the card front, I also cut the template the same size.  Then using my template stamped the swirl three times using VersaMark ink and embossed with detail clear embossing powder, then turned the template over and stamped and embossed the other side.  Using Distress Ink – Broken China I inked all over the blue paper.  I quite liked the shape I’d been left with from the template so I re-cut it using white card and edged it with silver border peel-offs.  I had a strip of the Blueberry Pie paper left so I used an EK Success punch on the edges, I have a small happy birthday stamp and my intension was to stamp it so the DL card would be on its side but I had a mess about and stamped the happy on the edge before turning it around and stamping the birthday underneath but upside down as I wanted the card to stand up (different and looks a bit weird but hey ho J),  I stamped the happy birthday in the VersaMark and embossed with clear embossing powder, I then inked the strip using the Broken China.  I finished off with an organza bow, I was going to put a topper but decided to leave it, I think it shows that you can use the stamps to create some really nice backgrounds.

The flourishes remind me of wings so I thought I’d make a butterfly.  I used ‘Fantasy Film’ – Dandilion (I know that’s not spelt right but that’s what’s on the packaging) and in the middle of it I used the ‘Fantasy Fibres’ – Light Blue, I also used StazOn – Ultramarine on the stamp.  For the leaves I used two shades of green card and Adirondack – Meadow ink and embossed with clear embossing powder, I used one of the flourishes and once cut out I joined one of each colour along the centre and glued them together to form the leaf.  For the flower I used some flowery paper from my stash and the other flourish (you could use the same flourish it doesn’t really make any difference), I used Adirondack – Butterscotch and embossed again with clear embossing powder.  I cut six out and inked them and around the edge with Distress Ink - Mustard Seed.  I glued the now petals together to form the flower, once dry I attached a brad to the middle.  I though a diamond top card would work well for this card, so I used white for the base, blue mirri for the matt and white again for the top layer.  For the diamond top I used Distress Ink – Tumbled Glass to ink the edges and for the bottom I used Distress Ink – Shabby Shutters, these colours were to represent the grass and the sky.  For the ‘With Love’ sentiment, I used StazOn – Ultramarine (only because it was still on my desk lol) and double stamped it to give a shadow effect.  I inked the edges with the Shabby Shutters ink and matted onto the blue mirri before attaching it to the card with double sided tape.  Just above it and sticking out from under the diamond I shaped one of the leaves and used silicone glue to attach it to the card.  I attached the second leaf to the diamond top and place the flower both using silicone glue.  For the butterfly I curled some blue wire to make the antenna and used dark blue glitter glue for the body.  I folded two pieces of scrap paper in half and placed them at either side of the body so once the wings were stuck in the glitter glue they could rest on the paper until dry.  I had to re-apply the blue glitter glue to the body because once it had dried it went flat, no problem there, but there were a couple of dried out bubbles, the second coat when dry gave a bit of dimension to the body, so it was definitely needed.

I was having a look through my bits and pieces card draw and found some gingham card, just enough for the front of this easel card.  So, using my Cricut Expression I cut out the shape and a matching matt.  OK, what next, I had a rummage through my bits and pieces paper draw and found a small booklet of A4 paper from the middle of a Creative Cardmaking magazine I’ve had for a long time, the mag has long gone but I kept the paper.  I stamped the ‘With Love’ onto the paper with VersaMark ink and embossed with clear embossing powder, I masked the ‘With Love’ and stamped and embossed the heart before cutting it out.  I used Distress Ink – Dusty Concord and inked all over the heart. Mmmm.. not what I thought it would look like but carry on.  I cut two strips of white card and using a Martha Stewart punch I punched along both edges and cut them up into sections.  I added double sided tape to the back of the heart and stuck each piece of punched border one at a time, overlapping them to form a doily effect.  Still not happy with it, so I did it again, this time I stamped the ‘With Love’ with VersaMark and embossed with detail white embossing powder, masked and did the heart the same and then inked to finish.  What a difference, at lot better BUT I had white bits of embossing powder on the heart even though I’d used an anti-static pad I could still see it, not much but it was there L  So to recap I have a frilly edged heart that I don’t like and a heart I do like but has giant white bits on it. Q  I used my white gel pen and added loads of white dots, lol, it has made the heart look very lacy.  didn't redo the punched border I just stuck the white embossed heart over the clear one, you wouldn't have know if I hadn’t have told you J  Going back to the paper, I cut out a square for the base of the card and stuck on with double sided tape, BUT (sorry another but, lol) I didn’t have enough paper to cover the front section of the easel card.  What to do.  I had a look through my ribbons and found this purple so leaving a very small white border above and below it I stuck it straight onto the card front, because I didn’t take the ribbon round the back I used some clear drying glue to stick to the ends of the ribbon so it doesn’t fray.  I then trimmed the left over bit of paper and attached with double sided tape, if I hadn’t have messed up the heart I would have had enough.  For the stopper on the base of the card I used Shapeabilities – Ribbon Tags Trio, white embossed the ‘Happy Birthday’ and inked using the Distress Ink – Dusty Concord, threaded the ribbon through the tag and attached it to a double punched border.  I attached the heart and the border with foam tape and found the flowers in my stash, I added a gem brad in the middle and I stuck them on with silicone glue BUT (not again, sorry lol) you could see the silicone around the brad so using clear drying glue I dabbed it around the brads and sprinkled with Glamour Dust.  Finished at last lol, that was like war and peace J

While in my bits and pieces paper draw I found some pink stripe paper, so left it out to do something with.  I used white for the card base and cut the stripe paper to cover the entire front, leaving a little white edge.  I thought the Martha Stewart eyelet lace punch would work well on white and I used a really nice little stamp from Dimension Fourth its called ‘Mirror Image Roses’ ref: 0602009a, and as luck would have it, it fits just right on this 5” square punched matt.  I coloured the roses with ProMarkers.  I have some red spot card and stamped the heart on it using VersaMark and embossed using Moon Glow Embossing Powder – Razzleberry Plum from the Stamp Man.  I cut two hearts out, one for the base, which I stamped and embossed the sentiment, and one for the top, which I stamped the heart, leaving two tabs, one at either side of the heart so I could glue it round the back of the sentiment. I cut the top heart down the middle and used Distress Ink – Worn Lipstick to ink all the edges of both hearts, and then I glued the tabs round the back before attaching it to the centre of the roses with foam tape.  I’m not too sure about this heart topper but I wanted to see what it would look like, anyway, hey ho. J

I’ve called this ATC ‘My Colourful World’.  On shrink plastic I stamped the heart with Archival Ink – Jet Black and coloured it with my water colour pencils, I just used lots of different colours at random.  For the background I stamped the text using VersaMark ink and embossed with clear embossing powder, I then coloured it in randomly with Distress Inks – Shabby Shutters, Scattered Straw, Milled Lavender, Victorian Velvet, Mustard Seed and Tumbled Glass.  To finish I inked around the edge of the card with Distress Ink – Vintage Photo and I stuck the heart on with silicone glue.

Well that did go on and on a bit, sorry, but I hope you enjoy your project club stamps this month, as I did, and if you get the chance to send me one of your ATC's that would be great, my details are on the newsletter.  If you are looking at this post and would like to join the project club then you can find the details on the Dimension Fourth web site.  Thanks for looking and happy crafting J

Jackie x

5 comments:

  1. These are all fab Jackie, and what a lot of work. Mine arrived yesterday so hope to have a 'play' some time this week. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, thank you for the ideas I have just made a beautiful card for my daughters silver wedding anniversary. aileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie, have just made the project card - for an easel card challenge. I stamped the corners after tearing and not before, I also tore using a tearing ruler - otherwise I don't get a very straight edge. Instead of the quickie glue pen, I painted some PVA glue on with brush and finger. Now pray tell me how do I get glitter free for work tomorrow! LOL! Need to have a think about some ATCs now for the club challenge. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much for you kind comments ladies, I'm really glad you like the cards.

    Sparrow - lol I know what you mean about the glitter, its a nightmare, no matter how much you try to get rid of it there's always stray bits left behind. As for the PVA glue, if I could use it I would but I think it doesn't like me as I always get in such a mess with it. Have a nice sparkly day at work tomorrow lol

    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. waw,, This card is very pretty and beautiful,,

    Uhooi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete